Community

SDLFF Shows Hit After Hit

The San Diego Latino Film Festival featured some wonderful and eye-opening films this year. I had the pleasure of seeing quite a few, here’s a rundown of some of my fave flicks.

Categories: Arts, Arts & Culture, Community, Features, Festivals, Film | Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

24th Annual San Diego Latino Film Festival

The 24th Annual San Diego Latino Film Festival just kicked into gear March 16th and will continue to run through March 26th, 2017. The festival is held at two prime movie-going locations, both the Fashion Valley Mall in Mission Valley and the Digital Gym Cinema in North Park.

Categories: Arts, Arts & Culture, Community, Features, Film | Tags: , , , ,

Bay Area Theaters Take a Stand with Immigrants

Bay Area Theater’s released the following statement in response to Trump’s unconstitutional immigration ban. We’re glad to see the community take a stand on these unwarranted attacks. If you’re wondering where to take in a show, we suggest the leaders who signed below.

Categories: Arts & Culture, Community, Theatre & Musicals | Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Magical Nathaniel Magic Show!

I didn’t know what to expect when I went to see Magical Nathaniel Magic Show! at El Cerrito High School. In his early 20’s, he’s already been performing for about 9 years. He became interested in magic at the tender age of 3. I already admired this performer without seeing the show, due to the fact that not many of us get to follow the dreams we had as teenagers, let alone those at age 3.

Categories: Arts & Culture, Community, Features, Shows | Tags: , , , , ,

Women’s March Oakland – Photos

Gloomy weather didn’t keep Oakland residents away from the Women’s March from Madison Park to Frank Ogawa Plaza. Here are a few moments and creative signs that I captured yesterday.

Categories: Community, Features, Photography | Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Watch 20th Century Women This Weekend and A24 Will Make a Donation to Planned Parenthood

A24 has announced that it will make a donation to Planned Parenthood in honor of each person that goes to see the Golden-Globe® nominated film 20th Century Women this weekend.

Categories: Arts & Culture, Community, Features, Film, Fundraisers & Charities | Tags: , , , , , , ,

Join the Ghostlight Project – Eve of Presidential Inauguration

Th eve of the presidential inauguration—it and over 100 theaters and theatrical organizations across the country will launch The Ghostlight Project, a collective, simultaneous action, together creating “light” for challenging times ahead.

Categories: Arts, Arts & Culture, Community, Features, Theatre & Musicals | Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Into the Beautiful North at Central Works

Central Works’ closes its 2016 season with new play, “Into the Beautiful North”, written by nationally known playwright Karen Zacarías and based on the novel by Pulitzer Prize finalist Luis Alberto Urrea. The script is inspired by the classic Hollywood western “The Magnificent Seven,” which was adapted from Kurosawa’s, “The Seven Samurai.” With the multitude of theatre choices in the Bay Area it’s hard to find one that illustrates the life of Latinos. This one fills that void, at least for a short term.

Categories: Arts, Arts & Culture, Community, Features, Theatre & Musicals | Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Brooklyn Loves Michael Jackson

Saturday marks the 6th Annual “Brooklyn Loves Michael Jackson” block party thrown in honor of his birthday by Spike Lee. This year will be hosted by Lee & Sway with music played by DJSPINNA. The location for the event is the same street that Lee’s, “Do the Right Thing” was filmed on in 1998. 

Categories: Arts & Culture, Community, Features, Music | Tags: , , , , ,

The Legacy of Rosie the Riveter

Over 2,100 participants gathered at the Craneway Pavilion in Richmond on the 13th of August, to break the Guinness World record for most ‘Rosie the Riveters’ in one place. Women, men and children participated in the event to honor the trailblazers who stepped up to the call of duty during WWII. Original Rosie’s were in attendance including Agnes Moore, Kay Morrison, Marian Wynn, Primetta Giacopini, and Priscilla Elder. Moore, 96, worked in the Richmond Shipyards as a welder for 4 years.

Categories: Arts & Culture, Community, Features, Leadership, Museums, Photography, Scene, Travel | Tags: , , , , , ,

Proudly powered by WordPress Theme: Adventure Journal by Contexture International.